Altar bread may be home-made or purchased. It is requested that the crust not be a tough crust (like the sourdough rounds) because it is difficult to serve. The round loaves are best—like those made at Great Harvest, or you may make bread from the eucharist bread recipes below. Some people are allergic to dairy, so select non-dairy shortening.
Arrive 15 minutes early with bread. Slice bread down center part way through top before placing on the paten.
Eucharist Bread Recipes:
White Eucharist bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease two baking sheets.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and baking soda. Stir in honey, shortening and water. Mix dough until it is smooth and well developed. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and supple, about 8 minutes.
- Divide the dough into two equal pieces and form into loaves. Place loaves on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden.
Delicious Unleavened Communion Bread
- 2 cups plus one tablespoon organic, unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup organic milk (whole or 2%)
- 1? teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder (see footnote 2 under the first recipe)
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup unrefined granulated sugar (such as Florida Crystals)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) shortening, chilled
- 1 large egg
Preheat oven to 375° F. Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in medium mixing bowl. Using two table knives or a pastry blender, cut butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine dry crumbs (or corn meal). In a measuring cup, combine egg and milk and beat well. Using a fork, stir liquid mixture into flour mixture, stirring just until dough comes together (do not overmix). Place dough on stoneware baking sheet. Roll out thinly. Cut out and score as above (in recipe 2). Bake for 10-15 minutes, until edges begin to brown. Transfer to wire rack to cool.